Saturday, March 20, 2010

Big Sister

Let me introduce you to my first child, Marnina. It was on July 1, 2007 that I held her in my arms for the first time. She was nine months old and you can read about our trip to China here. She has been our only child for almost 3 years. We were a bit worried about how she would handle the transition once Elijah joined our family, but we were surprised with a sweet, caring, helpful, big sister!




I'm trying to find ways to let her help me throughout the day like giving Elijah his pacifier, talking to him when he's fussy, pushing him in the swing, and fetching things for Mama. Usually, she responds to calls to help out with "Okay, sure Mama. I'd love to." It doesn't get much better than that!



In the 18 days we've had Elijah home, there have been only two times Marnina has had trouble.
"Mama, put the baby down and come play in my room."
"I'm sad because you're feeding baby Elijah."

I can say that it made me sad to hear those words, not because Marnina was bring unhelpful at the time, but because I had not been spending as much time with her those days as I should have. But I'm still learning, too, how to be a mom to two small kids. It's a challenge, and I still haven't figured out the best way to do a big shopping trip with them both on my own (Marnina wants to ride in the cart still), but I wouldn't trade my life right now for anything else.

3 comments:

  1. Babywearing. That is the only solution to big shopping trips with a 3 yo and a baby. I have mentioned the Mobywrap to you. If Elijah likes being snuggled, that is the PERFECT solution. Or, just a small trip, putting Marnina in the seat and the baby in his bucket in the cart itself. Or, my personal favorite, shopping when the kids are with dad. It is like a day at the spa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a Maya Wrap that I'm experimenting with. It's definitely not as comfortable as the Ergo, but I don't have an infant insert for it. My plan is to use the wrap for shopping and let Marnina ride in the cart. It's still a little overwhelming trying to do math in my head while hunting for deals at CVS and especially triple coupons at Harris Teeter while the baby is crying and Marnina wants a cookie! Right now, the big trips have been solo or an entire family affair - complete with Mama pushing the stroller and Daddy pushing the cart. It works, but will get old soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did a Snugli type carrier when my oldest was 18 months old and our next one came along. But it sounds like you are doing beautifully and will make your own way soon! It is good that Marnina can tell you those things. When #3 came along, #2 was 2-1/2 and she would say "I want you to put the baby down and pick me up." I was glad she told me instead of doing something passive aggressive! Enjoy these times, they were very precious to me.

    ReplyDelete